Want to have a Grand Entrance? A concrete walkway will truly improve the appearance of a property and is fairly low-maintenance. Completely customized to suit your home and your tastes with multitude of decorative concrete options.
Concrete Options for Concrete Walkways
Concrete Driveway options include different colors, patterns, and finishes, depending on your preference and budget.
DecoMax Concrete’s Concrete Driveway options include the following:
- Combination Stamped & Exposed Aggregate Concrete – most popular
- Stamped Concrete
- Exposed Aggregate Concrete
- Regular Concrete which comes in
See our Concrete Walkways Gallery for examples.
Project Process for Concrete Walkways
A typical project process for concrete walkways includes the following elements:
- We work with you to design the concrete walkway you want, including type of concrete from above, pattern, color, finish, and shape
- Prior to excavation, great consideration goes into planning and removal of existing elements such as concrete, dirt, wood, or asphalt in project area
- We use machinery where possible and manual labor and wheel barrels in hard to reach areas
- All excavated material is hauled away
- Formwork is established as per approved and contracted design
4) Subgrade Preparation
- The most critical step in creating a long lasting concrete walkway is in preparing the foundation with a granular stone subgrade
- DecoMax Concrete provides a highly and evenly compacted granular stone subgrade depth of 2” to 5”
- The granular stone subgrade is also graded properly to ensure proper water drainage away from the house
5) Reinforcing Concrete
- Reinforced steel rods (also known as “re-bars”) or 9 gauge wire mesh are placed in a grid like pattern in concrete walkways to increase concrete strength
- Reinforced concrete does not prevent or eliminate cracks, its purpose is to increase concrete bonding and strength
6) Concrete Pouring
- 4″- 5″ thickness of concrete is directly poured into the formed area from a concrete truck and/or wheelbarrows
- During pouring, concrete is raked into place, reinforced steel rods or 9 gauge wire mesh are raised slightly off the subgrade into proper position, and the concrete is screeded using a straight edge or bull float
7) Concrete Surface Preparation
- Color Hardner For Stamped Concrete:
Color hardener is applied to the stamped project area. Once the color hardner is absorbed, the stamped concrete is troweled to a smooth finish. Next, a Release Agent is applied on the smooth concrete finish prior to the stamping process to prevent the concrete from sticking to the rubber molds used during the stamping process.
- Retarder For Exposed Aggregate Concrete:
Retarder Agent is applied on the smooth concrete finish and it is covered for 24 hours to prevent the top concrete layer from curing until the washing step
8) Formwork Removal
- All formwork is taken apart and hauled away
9) Control Cut Joints
- Control cut joints are placed in concrete to help prevent cracking
- All control cut joints are cut by dry method using concrete saws with diamond blades
- Control cut joints are measured and chalked where cutting will take place
- Joints may be incorporated into concrete patterns and designs to be somewhat camouflaged, be at least 1” – 2” deep depending on the concrete’s thickness, and spaced less than 6’ feet apart
10) Vertical Stamping Parging
- Color hardener is applied to vertical concrete surfaces and bullnose
- Stamped patterns are then used to create patterns on vertical concret surfaces and bullnose
11) Pressure Washing
- For Stamped Concrete:
Release agent is washed off the concrete surface and then buffed, creating a natural antique look
- For Exposed Aggregate Concrete:
Retarder agent is washed off the concrete surface exposing the aggregate concrete pebble look finish
12) Site Clean Up
- Site clean-up is performed including raking and washing of lawns, roadways etc.
13) Concrete Sealing
- VOC – Volatile Organic Compounds – compliant acrylic sealer and anti-slip agents are used to provide a long lasting, deep color, and wet look to Stamped or Exposed Aggregate Concrete
- For Stamped Concrete: 3 coats of sealer are applied
- For Exposed Aggregate Concrete: 2 coats of sealer are applied
Budgeting for Concrete Walkways
Budgeting for concrete walkways takes in to account all the above design factors.
Typically however, the larger the concrete walkway, the lower the pricing per square foot.
What Clients Think About Their Projects
At first we were skeptical about going with a company that’s not very popular like others, but the guys were amazing to work with.
Very informed and professional, really exceeded our expectations.
We recommend DecoMax Concrete to anyone who’s interested in investing in their properties.
We hired DecoMax Concrete to install our driveway, walkway, steps, landing, sidewalks, and backyard patio.
This was a large job, but the team did a great job, and paid attention to details.
I recommend DecoMax Concrete for all your concrete needs.
DecoMax Concrete does outstanding work! We were looking to have some cement work, stamping, walkways and sitting walls done in our back yard.
After getting several estimates, we called DecoMax Concrete for one more. When they came out to the house he took our ideas, made suggestions and turned them into something much more eye appealing and practical, something no other company’s took the time to do.
They have a very gifted eye when it comes to hard scape and what the finished product will look like.
Their work quality is 2nd to none. Its one of the few major projects we have had done to our new home that didn’t require several trips back out for issues.
Their prices were very fair and reasonable.
I have and will continue to refer him to neighbours and friends and I will definitely call him in the future for more hardscape/landscape work.